Monday 18 February 2019

MAIL IT MONDAY AGAIN

Monday is here again,  my Mail it Monday recipient this week is my ophthalmologist, who has been a huge part of my life for well over 20 years, I'm sure some people will say he deserves more than a card for putting up with me for so long,

For the first few years I only saw him once in a blue moon for a check up but in 1998 things change dramatically. I developed cataracts, I was devastated, that doesn't happen to a 42 year old.  I had the surgery, in both eyes, but my sight got worse, apparently I had a disease called Fuchs Dystrophy,which led to me having to have a corneal transplant in 2000. This was one of the hardest periods of my life up to that stage, the thought of having a piece of a dead person in me was beyond anything i had every imagined and waiting for the tissue to be available felt mercenary however the alternative was that i would lose the sight in my right eye within two years.

The surgery was a great success and i can't explain how grateful I am to the donors family for allowing me such a great gift.

The difference in my sight was amazing, I had not realised the extent of my loss until I could see properly again Sadly eight years later the cornea failed and i had to have a second transplant.

I can't begin to thank Geoff for the support he gave me, both medical and emotional, in 2000 the tissue waiting list was huge and the Eye Bank in NSW was not run as it should, Geoff encouraged me to go to a wonderful doctor in Queensland where I could get the surgery done quicker, as I was told at the time by the Queensland team  that I had a one in a million doctor who put me first before his fees. I am and always will be grateful to Geoffrey Cohn for everything he has done for me and my family.

I had my regular check up last week and I realised that though i have said thank you in person i have never actually written it to him, so he's my Mail it Monday for this week.


Yes, its plain but I don't think there is a stamp set anywhere that could 100% express how I feel, I hope he likes it.

Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them x

STAND ALONE DIES BLOG HOP SEPTEMBER, 2022

Welcome to my small part in the Stand Alone Dies Blog Hop, this was certainly a challenge most die sets I own have a matching stamp set. The...