Monday 23 September 2019

TO EMOTIONAL A DAY

I haven't even started this blog and I'm already crying, it's going to be a very emotional day for me. Two of the biggest and hardest things in my life happened on the 23rd September.

I arrived in Australia and I lost my beautiful Mum.

It's 50 years ago today that the Fairsky docked at Wooloomooloo in Sydney. 6 weeks and 2 days after we left Southampton UK. As a 13 year old, I didn't realise Australia was so far away. Such a brave move by my parents, Dad had his 51st Birthday  on the boat, Mum was 45. I don't think I could have made such a huge move at that age.

It was a rough voyage, the boat nearly went down in the Indian Ocean, apparently a P and O ship was one one side of us and an Australian Destroyer one the other. 





So different to the ships of today.

It was worth every scary moment, we were lucky to have distant relatives here that helped us settle from day one, I'll be eternally grateful to them.

Every 23rd September, since 1969 we have celebrated our arrival, that was until 5 years ago, when I lost my Mum, her timing wasn't good but Bless her she had 45 years in England and 45 in Australia, how about that?.


I am so grateful that Mum and Dad took that risk all those years ago, I love going back to England but Australia is home.


Love and miss these two gorgeous people.


Talk soon


Sue x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them x

STAND ALONE DIES BLOG HOP SEPTEMBER, 2022

Welcome to my small part in the Stand Alone Dies Blog Hop, this was certainly a challenge most die sets I own have a matching stamp set. The...