Tuesday 22 January 2019

LETS KEEP POSTMAN PAT IN WORK

One thing I love about Christmas is the cards. I love making them, I love receiving them, I don't like standing in a queue on the Post Office to post them and I certainly don't like the cost of the postage but as the saying goes "Christmas Comes But Once A Year" I recently read that this saying refers to the spirit of generosity and goodwill that characterizes the Christmas season. The implication is that people should spend this special time of year focusing more on giving rather than receiving.

So I send and I receive, I love it but what happens after Christmas when life gets back to normal, apart from junk mail, all we seem to get are bills and some of them now come electronically. 

Don't get me wrong I love email, it's quick and easy and a great way to keep in touch, but it has no heart, it has no loving memory, it's clinical. Letters and cards are something that you can keep for your lifetime,  you can read them over and over again. I treasure the handwritten cards and letters I received from my Grandmother when we first came to Australia, my Gran passed away 40 years ago but I can still look at her handwritting and hold something that she held.

Being sentimental I have boxes of cards and letters that hold special places in my heart and every now and again, I sit down with a glass of wine and go through them, yes it is emotional and yes I do cry, but tears of wonderful memories. 

A persons handwriting isn't the only thing, in a card or letter, the way a person expresses their self is different, more personal, warmer in most cases and for anyone doing family history, letters, cards etc are precious, I am a firm believer that children should be taught to create new memories by writing letters and cards from an early age.

So why are most people turning away from them and going electronically, in most cases I believe it is the cost, commercial cards are expensive and so is the postage, handmade cards however don't have to be expensive and they don't have to be elaborate, the thought and love that goes into the card is what is important.

There is no one that isn't capable of making their own cards, you don't have to artistic, you don't have to have a lot of supplies, it is great therapy especially if you attend a class or workshop, there you can meet new people and have a laugh and take something beautiful home that you have made yourself.

I hold classes at my home, if you are interested, details are on the link above.

Let's make 2019 a year when we are going to help Postman Pat stay employed by sending some snail mail.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them x

STAND ALONE DIES BLOG HOP SEPTEMBER, 2022

Welcome to my small part in the Stand Alone Dies Blog Hop, this was certainly a challenge most die sets I own have a matching stamp set. The...